Arriving at Kiwi creche for the first time feels awesome. Slide goes the door. Then we’re waiting for all 28 of us. Now we slide it the other way (that was for when a predator comes in.) Then we walk to a little shelter where all the kiwis stay when they are under 9 months then they are let free. They made this creche because in the wild 5% survive but in the creche 70% survive. The other 30% drown or get killed by a hawk. We pass around the kiwi egg. Did you know that a kiwi egg is 1/3 of a kiwi? Then we saw it, the KIWI! She holds the kiwi in her hands. It has rough feathers and sharp claws. The sharp claws are the only way it could defend itself. She did not only get the kiwi for us but to change the band on his foot. When I pat the kiwi the feathers were as rough as a silver fern. Did you know that the kiwi clicks it beak like a electric fence when it is angry? We get back on the minibus and flee. It was awesome to touch a kiwi.